In between watching movies, I try to get the iRule to work on an iPad mini.
Bought this iPad only to use as a remote control in the home theater.
I plan to get a wall mount for the iPad so that it can be mounted on the wall on one side of the door to the home cinema.
Made a button that turns on the lights, amplifiers, projector and blu ray player.
Only press this when you enter the home cinema, at the same time as you of course bring your iPad in to control the rest of the system.
I have made it seem so far.
The thing that has taken the most time is to find ir codes for the projector. Could not find any in iRule database. Then I had to use the learning function in Global Caché iTach .
Then download a program called iLearn , then connect to iTach to store the IR codes that it retrieves via a small eye next to the power plug.
This is simple and easy when everything works as it should. But there was a lot of swearing and sweating before I even managed to learn a single button. Have spent 3 evenings teaching me what needs to be done to learn the codes. Was not so easy with Sony's remote control it turned out. The codes would simply not work for some reason.
Finally I found my old Philips Pronto remote control.
This also has the opportunity foe to learn ircodes.
It seemed that the Pronto handled it much better than iTach via iLearn.
Seemed like just that when I used the Pronto directly as a remote control. But was not completely successful when I had to feed the code on to iTach.
Then spent an entire evening researching online if I could find a solution. I came to the conclusion that I first had to change some settings in iLearn to be able to capture the codes better. This is certainly something that can be done for some controls, preferably Sony's. In repeat you can put 3 and when you have captured the code you can try to enter the offset before you save the code, either 3, 5 or 7 etc.
I used 3 for most buttons, and it seems to work in about 50% of the time.
So you just have to try and fail a few times before things work out.
Is not yet completely finished learning all the buttons, ie a tedious and a bit tedious work. Fortunately, the codes are already stored for both the Oppo blu ray and Yamaha 3030.
Now just need to find some fancy buttons, logos and images for the control itself. Have so far only found a few buttons that I have added to test that things work. And seems to do it :). a button to start up the entire system, and a button to turn everything off again. A little more knotting with buttons and codes so this will probably be good.